Bay is located 20 miles south of Cape Romanzof, 25 miles south of
Scammon Bay in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. The city is separated into two
sections: a heavily built-up townsite located on gently rolling hills,
and a newer section in the lowlands. It lies at approximately 61░ 31' N
Latitude, 166░ 05' W Longitude (Sec. 26, T017N, R093W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area
encompasses 9 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
"Askinuk" or "Askinaghamiut" are the
early Eskimo names for Hooper Bay. The village was first reported in
1878 by E.W. Nelson of the U.S. Signal Service. The 1890 Census found
138 persons living in 14 homes. The name Hooper Bay came into common
usage after a post office with this name was established in 1934. The
present-day Eskimo name "Naparagamiut" means "stake village people."