site is located on the right bank of Apoon Pass, southwest of Kotlik, in
the Yukon Delta. It lies at approximately 62░ 53' N Latitude, 163░ 53' W
Longitude (Sec. 18, T033N, R076W, Seward Meridian). The community is
located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 5 sq.
miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
The village was first reported in 1844
by Lt. L.A. Zagoskin of the Russian Navy as the Eskimo village or camp "Aunguamut."
In 1897, the North American Transportation & Trading Company established
a supply post and riverboat landing here. The village was named for
Charles H. Hamilton, assistant manager of the company. It has also been
known as Fort Hamilton and Old Hamilton.