Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Golovin
 

Golovin is located on a point of land between Golovnin Bay and Golovnin Lagoon on the Seward Peninsula. It is 70 miles east of Nome. It lies at approximately 64░ 33' N Latitude, 163░ 02' W Longitude (Sec. 11, T011S, R022W, Kateel River Meridian). The community is located in the Cape Nome Recording District. The area encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

The Eskimo village of "Chinik," located at the present site of Golovin, was originally settled by the Kauweramiut Eskimos who later mixed with the Unaligmiut Eskimos. Golovin was named for Captain Vasili Golovnin of the Russian Navy. In 1887, the Mission Covenant of Sweden established a church and school south of the current site. Around 1890, John Dexter established a trading post that became the center for prospecting information for the entire Seward Peninsula. When gold was discovered in 1898 at Council, Golovin became a supply point for the gold fields. Supplies were shipped from Golovin across Golovnin Lagoon and up the Fish and Niukluk Rivers to Council. A post office was opened in 1899. Reindeer herding was a integral part of the missions in the area in the 1900s.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress