Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Fort Greely
 

Fort Greely is approximately 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks and 10 miles south of Delta Junction on the Richardson Highway. It lies at approximately 63░ 58' N Latitude, 145░ 45' W Longitude . The community is located in the Fairbanks Recording District. The area encompasses 26 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.

In 1904 the U.S. Army Signal Corps completed the McCarthy Telegraph Station in this area. In 1942, in concert with the construction of the Alaska Highway, airfields were built as part of the lend/lease program with the Soviet Union. This program involved ferrying American-built fighter planes to Russia via a number of airfields in Canada and Alaska; one of these airfields later became Fort Greely. In 1948, Fort Greely became the Northern Warfare Training Center and the Cold Regions Test Center for the U.S. Army.

 

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress