is located about 180 air miles and 250 road miles northwest of
Fairbanks, adjacent to Bettles. It lies at approximately 66░ 55' N
Latitude, 151░ 30' W Longitude (Sec. 08, T024N, R018W, Fairbanks
Meridian). The community is located in the Fairbanks Recording District.
The area encompasses 45 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
Several Native groups have lived in the
area, including Koyukon Athabascans and Kobuk, Selawik, and Nunamiut
Eskimos from the north and northwest. The Koyukon lived in several camps
throughout the year, moving as the seasons changed, following the wild
game and fish. Evansville was named for Wilford Evans, Sr., who owned a
trading post and river barge business in Allakaket. Evans opened a
sawmill at the present site of Evansville and built the Bettles Lodge
and General Store. In 1948, the FAA constructed an airfield and
communications installation at Bettles Field, adjacent to Evansville.
The U.S. Navy used these facilities as a support base for exploring
National Petroleum Reserve 4. Work opportunities at Bettles Field
attracted both Natives and whites to the new airfield. A post office was
established at the Bettles Lodge in 1950. A school was constructed in
1956. A health clinic opened in 1980.