is located at the head of the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet, at the mouth of
the Eklutna River, 25 miles northeast of Anchorage. It is within the
boundaries of the Unified Municipality of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 61░ 28' N Latitude, 149░ 22' W Longitude (Sec. 24, T016N,
R001W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Anchorage
Recording District. The area encompasses 6 sq. miles of land and 4 sq.
miles of water.
The Eklutna area was the site of many
Athabascan Indian villages as long as 800 years ago. Today's residents
are descendants of the Tanaina tribe. A railroad station was built in
1918, and Russian Orthodox missionaries arrived in the 1840s.
Brightly-colored "spirit houses" in the Russian Slavic style now lend
character to Eklutna. The Eklutna Power House supplies hydroelectric
power to Anchorage.