is located on Kotzebue Sound at the mouth of the Inmachuk River, 57
miles southwest of Kotzebue. It is built on a flat sand and gravel spit
300 feet wide and a half-mile long. It lies at approximately 66░ 04' N
Latitude, 162░ 42' W Longitude (Sec. 20, T008N, R019W, Kateel River
Meridian). The community is located in the Cape Nome Recording District.
The area encompasses 5 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
The village was established in 1901 as
a supply station for Interior gold mining near the historic Malemiut
Eskimo village of "Inmachukmiut." The name Deering was probably taken
from the 90-ton schooner Abbey Deering, which was in nearby
waters around 1900.