is located on a point at the eastern end of the Alaska Peninsula, 12
miles southeast of King Cove. It lies at approximately 55░ 05' N
Latitude, 162░ 02' W Longitude (Sec. 09, T059S, T084W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording District. The
area encompasses 2 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
Russians originally settled Aleuts at
Belkofski in 1823 to harvest the large concentration of sea otters
inhabiting the area's reefs. At the height of this exploitation,
Belkofski was one of the most affluent villages in the area. In the
1880s, there were three stores, and residents imported building
materials and furniture from San Francisco. A Russian Orthodox Church
was built. When the otter industry diminished at the turn of the
century, so did the population of Belkofski. Remaining residents
trapped. Cash employment in the Pribilofs, King Cove or Sand Point lured
residents away from the village.