Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Auke Village
 

 The site of the former village of the Auke Indians on the open bight just east of Point Louisa, 13 miles northwest of Juneau. The site, adjacent to Glacier Highway, has been reserved by the U.S. Forest Service as a recreation area. The 1880 census of Alaska listed the Auk population as 640, of whom 300 were on Admiralty Island, 50 on Douglas Island, and 290 on Stephens Passage, the latter presumably including those at the Point Louisa village. In 1890 the Census Bureau gives the population of "The Auk settlements" as 324 and in 1900 as 261, without specifying the number or location of the settlements. The village at point Louisa was known as Aukan, although in 1904 J. R. Swanton, the anthropologist, reported its name as Antogaltsu, meaning abandoned town. This may have been a recent name, given it after the population had moved to Juneau. Almost immediately after the founding of Juneau, Auk, Taku, and other Indians began moving to the new camp. The Auks were established on the beach just north of town and this became locally known as the Auk Village to distinguish it from the Taku Village, which was on the beach just south of town. Thereafter, the village at Point Louisa was usually called Old Auke Village.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress