Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Andreafsky
 

 

Andreafsky is adjacent to and within the City boundaries of St. Mary's. It is on the north bank of the Andreafsky River, 3.5 miles northeast of Pitka's Point in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies at approximately 62░ 03' N Latitude, 163░ 10' W Longitude . The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 3 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

By 1899, the village had become a supply depot and winter quarters for the Northern Commercial Company's riverboat fleet. The village was named for the Andrea family who settled here, and was originally called "Clear River." The family built a Russian Orthodox Church. A Catholic mission was established nearby in 1949. The surrounding area became the incorporated City of St. Mary's in 1967, although Andreafsky chose to remain separate. In 1980, the two communities combined.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress